Over the past 6 months I have made several presentations to client law firms, and delivered a CPD session for Foleys List, on the basics of caveats. The presentation lasts about 40 minutes and takes an overview of the subject, accompanied by a more detailed paper to be read afterward.
A copy is available here: Caveats – Basics – Handout – WP
The presentation is aimed at practitioners who deal with caveats on an occasional basis but are not frequently involved with litigation regarding them. The paper covers the following broad topics:
- What is a caveat
- Registrations systems as a medium for caveats
- What is a caveatable interest? Common examples of what is and is not.
- Caveats as a statutory injunction
- Why not just Register anyway?
- Lodging a caveat
- The time for registration
- Removal – lapsing notices and applications to a Court
Pingback: Caveats – A refresher | Australian Law Blogs